FSTA SUMMER CONFERENCE RECAP: WINDY CITY WONDERFUL!
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Posted by: Meg Van Petten
The FSTA Summer Conference: "The Modernization of Fantasy Sports,” sponsored by RealTime Fantasy Sports, was held last week at the DoubleTree Hotel – Magnificent Mile in Chicago with a record number of attendees.
Among the highlights of the conference:
- Informative research results from IPSOS’ Julio Franco, who revealed that 33.5 million people (uniques) played fantasy sports in the last 12 months, up 1 million from last year. Even more exciting, the number of fantasy players younger than 18 years of age is on the rise big time. FSTA members will soon be able to access the complete research results via FSTA.org. Remember to log in first.
- A lively discussion about the amazing growth of daily games that featured panelists from FanDuel, Draftstreet and RealTime Fantasy Sports, as well as, FSTA legal advocate Glenn Colton and a special appearance by Robert Moncrief, a Deputy Attorney General with the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
- Tips and interesting tidbits on how to make your games more engaging from award-winning game designer Jay Little.
- A fun trip around the dial to learn about what’s happening with fantasy sports on the airwaves with NFL Network’s Dylan Milner, ESPN’s Nate Ravitz and SiriusXM’s Matt Deutsch.
- Learning about the evolution of sports data/analytics and where the industry could be headed from representatives of SportVision and STATS.
- The always compelling Elevator Pitch, sponsored by FanDuel, and won by SkyPhrase.
- A great (surprisingly sunny!!) afternoon of networking, food and drink in Wrigley Field’s Budweiser Bleacher Suite, sponsored by paysafecard, as the Cubs dropped a close one to the Reds.
- A special giveaway, in which all conference attendees received a pre-release copy of "Fantasy Life,” the new book by FSTA Hall of Famer and ESPN personality Matthew Berry.
- The FSTA Expert League Football Draft that aired on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio and the accompanying reception that was sponsored by Jockbrokers.
The FSTA also celebrated the achievements of Paul Charchian, John Hunt and the aforementioned Colton by inducting them into its Hall of Fame at a fantastic ceremony and reception sponsored by 2 Fantasy Sports. Congratulations, again, to this distinguished trio.
Photos from the conference can be viewed and purchased at http://genoimages.smugmug.com/EVENT/FSTA-Chicago-June-2013 thanks to our friends at genoimages.
As always, the FSTA thanks our attendees and all our sponsors for making this another memorable event. FSTA members should be on the lookout for our post-conference survey. The Board appreciates you taking the time to provide it with valuable information about what you want at your conference.
We’re already looking forward to our next conference in Las Vegas, at the Bellagio, Jan. 15-16, 2014. Save the dates … more details to come.